How Serious is Child Gaming Addiction?
Do children get addicted to online games and the internet? Why does this happen? What can be done to prevent it? Or how can we free children from gaming addiction? How addicted are our children to games? How to stop child gaming addiction? Let’s examine what addiction is before answering the question. Most frequently, the news reports that children and teenagers are addicted to various kinds of addictions. Despite the fact that we speak a lot about many addictions such as food, sex, shopping, movies, work, love affairs, the internet, games, serials, and computers, gaming and gambling are the only two addictions that a medical practitioner has identified in all senses. Several other addictions are still being researched or learned so they cannot be included on this list. It is important to evaluate some factors if you suspect a person is addicted to gambling or gaming, or if you suspect an internet addiction and online activities. Individuals’ heredity, personality, the motivation that led to this addiction, the presence of other mental illnesses, as well as their socio-economic environment and family background influence their behavioral patterns. Ninety percent of behavioral addictions are hereditary. In addition, certain mental illnesses are present in a very high percentage of addicts.
Online Games and Social Media: Blessing or Curse
There is a certain amount of good and blessing in playing online games, surfing the internet, and using social media. There is nothing wrong with that. The modern era is characterized by the internet and social media. With the invention of the internet, science is influencing virtually every aspect of modern life. Human happiness and comfort have greatly increased because of it. However, this is only one side of the story. Nectar can also be poisonous in excess. Even though it has sometimes proved to be a blessing, it has occasionally proved to be a curse too. As a matter of fact, there is nothing wrong with the internet, online games, or social media. In the same way as other games, online games are effective for relaxation and intelligence. But do not become addicted to it.
What are the Signs that if Someone is Addicted to a Game?
Monitoring the interruption of daily activities due to addictions is the first step. Take a look at their work, relationships, studies, food, sleep, and relationships with people in the community. Check if the addiction is causing any interruptions. Identifying gaming addiction quickly can be accomplished by observing an individual’s behavior if they show the following symptoms consistently. Spending too much time on online games every day can result in decreased learning ability, concentration issues, poor academic performance, and decreased social interaction.
Signs Your Child is Addicted to Videogames
- A lot or all of the time is spent playing games.
- Always thinking about games.
- Always keep these actions in mind, and above all, emphasize them.
- Whenever they are unable to play, they feel bad.
- Spending more and more time playing to feel better.
- Being unable to stop or even play less.
- Not wanting to do other things that they enjoyed before.
- sleep while reading a textbook, however, sitting and watching the screen for as long as they like.
- Learning disabilities, lack of interest, etc., in children.
- Having no interest in learning
- Facing problems at school, work, or home because of their gaming.
- These are just a few of the first symptoms.
- A little more risk is involved in the next step, in which children could become violent if they’re told not to play.
- Failures in personal relationships or at work.
- Disinterest in what has been done in the past.
- Stealing, lying, quarreling, etc.
- These are often for money and time spent on addictions
- A change in a person’s mood when immersed in an addiction.
Can banning the game solve the problem?
It is often a combination of a person’s socioeconomic family background and personality traits that causes an individual to become addicted to games or the internet. Hence, we cannot control addiction without modifying these factors. The bans of the game are completely pointless. When one game is banned, another is available. Gamers’ gaming addictions vary from person to person, regardless of what they are addicted to. Some people get addicted to the shapes, colors, characters, sounds, and speed of the game. An in-depth analysis may be needed to understand this. Just banning one or two games does not eliminate it.
Behavior addictions: what are they?
Behavioral addiction is a psychological condition where a person repeatedly engages in a particular behavior or habit without restraint. It is a form of mental illness in which a person engages in a particular behavior or habit repeatedly without self-control. They may be aware that it is harmful to them, yet they cannot resist participating in it. Spending too much time on online games every day can result in decreased learning ability, concentration issues, poor academic performance, and decreased social interaction
How are control methods implemented?
For behavioral addictions, there are three main types of control methods. Identifying the underlying factors or weaknesses that lead individuals to addiction is the first step. Next seek help from experts who can determine the psychopathology of addiction, understand the consequences and then proceed with treatment. If necessary, mindfulness training based on behavior modification, motivational interviews, and behavior therapy can be used. Medications may be needed sometimes, and that should be determined based on an individual’s needs.
What else we should pay attention to
Recognize the importance of technology and embrace the fact that technology cannot be avoided. Responsible handling of technology should be taught to children. If possible, make family rules applicable to everyone. With examples, describe how games can be harmful to children. Social media accounts should not be opened for children. Under no circumstances should Internet-enabled devices be given to children under the age of ten. As soon as you realize that your child is experiencing an uncontrollable condition, seek the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist at a clinic. Consider seeking the help of a psychiatrist if you notice your child is exhibiting major aggression, suicidal thoughts, insomnia, or lack of energy. Addictions to gaming and the internet are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to behavioral addictions. if you suspect that someone is heading in the direction of addiction, make sure they get the help they need as soon as possible. Realize that we cannot survive without facing the peculiarities of the modern era.
Children’s smartphone activities can be supervised by parents.
Children’s smartphone activities can be supervised by parents. Parents can control what their children do on smartphones. The biggest problem parents face when their children learn online is not being able to reduce their use of phones. There are several ways to solve this problem. Google Family Link app is a possible solution. The app is primarily designed for Android devices. It is possible to prevent children from downloading unwanted applications from the Play Store by this app. Using this app, parents can also set a bedtime for children who play games and use the internet without sleeping all night. When the parent sets a time, the child’s phone will be locked automatically after that time. Parents can decide what their child watches on YouTube and how much time he or she should spend playing, or playing the game as a means of relaxation. Since it is a feature of Google, it is safe.
What is Google Family Link?
The Family Link app lets parents monitor their children’s digital activities from Android or iOS devices for free. The key benefits of the app are, the app can be set up on the parent’s and child’s devices, allowing parents to remotely approve and block apps on their children’s devices, manage screen time, and remotely lock their devices at bedtime, study time, and playtime.
Some things parents need to know
- Avoid serials, children as well as parents, and other members of the family.
- Sleep is very important. Make sure your kids get eight hours of sleep per night.
- Our children used to go to bed earlier in the past.
- The problem now is that they are sleeping late at night.
- Breakfast is an important meal of the day.
- Eating breakfast is a must.
- Avoid fast food.
- Avoid the bakery in the evenings.
- Foods such as dosha, idli, bananas, fruits, and dry fruits are healthy alternatives.
- Whenever possible, the family ate together.
- At least once a day, the family would eat together.
- Talk only about things that make everybody happy at the time.
- Give children plenty of leafy vegetables, green grams, and gooseberries every day.
- After the meal, let the children clean their own plates.
- Train them to prepare the lunch boxes themselves.
- Dinner should be eaten lightly and in moderation.
- Eating it earlier is also recommended.
- Get them involved in household chores.
- Teach them to put their uniform or dirty clothes into the washing machine.
- Depending on their age, ask them to do their own washing.
- It is best to let the child clean up his own room and study area.
- You can teach them how to make dosa, idli, appam, and chapatis.
- Teach boys and girls how to chop vegetables, grind coconuts, and make basic recipes.
- Teach your children to put things in their proper place.
- The practice of moderation is essential.
- Teach them to practice moderation.
- Parents should set the example first.
- Give advice based on the growth of girls.
We must ensure that our children grow up clean and tidy
- Ensure that they maintain proper personal hygiene.
- Teach them how to keep their bodies clean.
- Bathing, hair care, foot care, and clean hands are all good habits.
- They should learn to dry their shoes and bags in the sun on Sundays
- Make them aware of the importance of personal and environmental hygiene.
It is important for children to always feel that their parents are there to support them and protect them.
- Make sure their homework is done correctly.
- Check the timetable at night and organize the book.
- When parents tell their children to reduce screen time, they should still not look at their smartphones.
- Remember, our children will model our actions more than our teachings.
- If not absolutely necessary, they should also reduce phone usage.
- Spend more time with your children by putting away your mobile phone.
- Studying, reading, learning a little about cultivation, growing plants, playing with friends, and spending time with your family, all this is required.
- There should be no hostility between children and parents.
- Attempt to avoid unnecessary annoyances.
- You should not make children angry unnecessarily, as this can lead to serious problems.
- The dreams of parents should not be tied to those of their children.
- Let them dream on their own.
- Then let them mold themselves accordingly, and we’ll only have to support them.
- May our children grow up to be loving and responsible.
Childhood is what children want
Children have a right to childhood; let them play with toys instead of playing with their cellphones. Children are the ones who paint on the wall and they are the ones who break toys. Children break toys and paint on the walls because they are children. The toys that remain on shelves without a crack are the signs of an exploding childhood. They are not making the wall dirty, but they are bringing it to life. They should be allowed to sink in the mud. It is okay for them to climb trees, fall, and fly kites. It’s not the breeding that’s needed. They must be allowed to grow.
You might also like Learning to Love Your Body