What is addiction?
Addiction to drugs is just like slavery. It is also intoxicating, whether it is alcohol or drugs. Addiction is defined as a behavior that is difficult to stop or control. It is the urge to do something that is hard to control or stop; it is hard to overcome. When you use cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs like marijuana, cocaine, or heroin, you will become addicted to them. You could be seriously hurt, even killed, by them. Substance use disorder, also known as drug addiction, affects a person’s brain and behavior and results in an inability to control their drug use. The drugs category also includes substances such as alcohol, marijuana, and nicotine. Drug use robs a man of all decency without a doubt. As a result, he starts to mistreat others and become quarrelsome. Using drugs is actually a great evil. It offers no benefits. In fact, it only makes a person lazy and worsens their health. Drugs and alcohol are the two arms of the devil with which he attacks his helpless victims.
Drug Addiction: how, why, and when it happens
What makes someone addicted to drugs? Drug addiction is common in our society for known and unknown reasons. People are not born with bad habits like smoking, drinking, or using drugs. He later takes up smoking, drinking, and using drugs due to the influence of his friends. Once one becomes addicted to a bad habit, it becomes too late to change it. Does intoxication really make them feel good? Are they really happy when they are intoxicated? Drug addicts think they can drown out their worries by taking drugs, but in reality, drugs cannot solve any problem. Not only will no problems be solved, but all of them will worsen. When addicted to drugs, one becomes unprincipled and characterless. When this happens, he disregards the welfare of his family. Addiction to drugs destroys the peace in the family. The prevalence of drug addiction, especially among workers and those from poorer sections of society, is extremely high. Most workers cannot afford enough food for their families. It is certain that his family will go hungry if he starts spending this on drugs.
Drug addiction can be caused by a variety of factors. There is a great deal of misinformation about drug addiction. Let us start with the family background.
- Traumatic experiences during childhood, such as abuse or neglect.
- Abuse of either the body or the mind.
- Family history of addiction (e.g., other relatives struggle with addiction)
- Addiction is not only genetic but also influenced by one’s environment.
- Alcohol or other drugs consumed during pregnancy.
- Compatibility problems in marriage.
- Extramarital affairs are a problem for some people.
- Poverty and the psychological consequences that it brings.
- Adolescence without parental monitoring or supervision.
- Stress over not getting a good job despite being educated.
- The influence of peers using drugs, or peer pressure from friends and social circles.
- Various mental health disorders, including depression and anxiety.
- Drug abuse is said to be a problem among students in hostels.
- Families cannot control them because they are away from them.
- Gangs dealing with various kinds of drugs are everywhere in every city and in every village.
- There is another group of unfortunate individuals who unknowingly become victims of it.
- Drugs are sometimes used as a fun activity with friends, but eventually, people become dependent on them.
- However, they gradually become addicted.
The changes that occur in a person who is addicted to drugs
An individual who takes a drug unknowingly or knowingly will become addicted to it. Their next move is unknown. It is unclear what they will do next. Because they will do anything. Are they sensible? The addicted person turns into an animal. Afterward, he pursues all forms of animal behavior. Animals do not tolerate hearing this. Because the actions of a drug addict are not beastly but satanic. If the animals were able to go to court, they would file a lawsuit. It is only for food or for survival that animals attack their companions or humans, or when they are scared. Nevertheless, a drug addict’s condition is horrific and extremely pitiful. Drug addicts forget the distinctions between their spouses, daughters, mothers, and sisters.
- The mental stability of a drug addict slowly deteriorates as he becomes weaker and weaker due to the drug.
- Addicts feel weird when the drugs wear off.
- Once-favorite activities are no longer appealing to them.
- They are having difficulties doing normal daily activities, like reading the newspaper, jogging, or working.
- It is common for drug addicts to steal or borrow money to pay for their drugs.
- As compared to what they used to do, they sleep too much or too little.
- Their eating patterns change drastically. They eat more or less than before.
- It is hard for them to get along with co-workers, teachers, friends, or family members.
- Drugged individuals can hear songs not being played, and see scenes that don’t exist.
- When a person is addicted to drugs, they become unbalanced
- Their eyes and noses may be bloodshot.
- There is a possibility that they may have gained or lost weight.
- The lack of interest in personal hygiene
- In order to obtain a few drops of drugs, he would even sacrifice the highest interests of his nearest and dearest.
- Drug addicts lack morals, and they choose to use drugs despite their negative effects.
- The person may be sweating, shaky, depressed or having headaches.
- Even if they want to, they are unable to stop using the drug.
- They spend quite a bit of time thinking about how to get more drugs.
Drug addiction is a complex disease
Treatment is essential when it comes to disease. There is no quick and easy way to treat drug addiction. Treatment with ordinary methods does not suffice for this. There is a lot at stake here because this is a very complicated situation. This situation needs to be handled with care. Most people don’t think to themselves that I need to release myself from this. Families and friends are typically the ones who take the initiative to help these people. Some people believe that addiction to drugs is easy to overcome and that addicts simply lack the willpower or motivation to quit. The truth is that strong will and good intentions are not enough to stop drug addiction. Due to the neurological changes induced in their brains by drugs, they find it difficult to quit using them. So, it would be wise for us to offer support and compassion to people who are battling addiction, instead of the distrust and exclusion we offer too often.
There are a variety of drug treatment programs available
Detoxification and medically managed withdrawal are usually considered the first stage of treatment, but not always. In simple terms, detoxification simply refers to the safe and effective withdrawal of a person from a specific psychoactive substance.
Providing long-term residential care
Care is provided 24 hours a day in long-term residential treatment, generally outside of hospitals. There is no set time frame for residential treatment. Residential treatment can last anywhere from a few days to several months.
Residential treatment for a short period of time
Partial hospitalization is an option for people who need ongoing medical monitoring but wish to live at home and maintain their own living environment. Treatment usually takes place at a treatment center during the day, and you return home during the evening.
Treatment Programs for Outpatients
Outpatient programs don’t require a live-in facility, and they can fit around work or school schedules. Addicts receive treatment during the day or evening but do not spend the night in the hospital. Relapse prevention is the primary objective.
There is no one treatment that works for everyone. We all need different treatments. Because everyone’s needs are unique. So choose a drug addiction treatment that meets your needs wisely.
Tips for maintaining a drug-free lifestyle
Whenever a person has completed treatment, they shouldn’t be isolated. To get back to normal, he needs the help of his family and community. We have to realize that each of us is responsible for making sure that he does not return to his addiction. This is also part of the follow-up treatment. Activities like these can be done without isolating yourself.
Adopt a pet
keeping pets is a kind of entertainment to us. We don’t ever feel lonely. Petting animals and birds show our love for them. We are supposed to love all living things by showing them our love. The fact that we love our pets proves the truth that all living beings deserve to be treated with love and dignity just like humans. Our concept of love changes as we broaden our love to include animals and birds as well.
SMART goals are important
The past should be forgotten when you lived intoxicated without a goal. Forgetfulness can be a blessing sometimes. Next, let’s see what to do and decide accordingly. It’s okay to be a little smart. It is important to have smart goals in life. Therefore, a person can plan their lives accordingly. Those without goals are like boats without a rudder. In order to achieve something in life, goals must be practical and attainable.
Build habits to stay busy
The pursuit of hobbies can enhance a person’s life. It allows you to de-stress and remain mentally active at the same time. Hobbies are beneficial to health in many ways. A few hours devoted to your hobby every week can also help you cope with depression and dementia. Hobby-related creativity can be directly transferred to work creatively, and developing creativity through a hobby can lead to increased productivity. Learn new hobbies. For example, reading, painting, gardening, woodworking, etc.
Get rid of toxic friends and relationships
It is not possible to be an island unto ourselves. It is impossible to be secluded in an ivory tower. We need to socialize as much as possible. There are, however, some relationships that should be avoided. You may need to end a friendship for your own well-being sometimes, although it is never easy.
Engage in sports
Sports and exercise release natural endorphins and hormones that make our bodies feel good. Maintaining good mental and physical health requires regular exercise. Getting exercise can help stimulate brain parts that aren’t as active when you’re feeling depressed. You’ll also release feel-good brain chemicals when you exercise. You may also feel more confident if you exercise. Yoga is also an option that you can do concurrently.
There is a bright future in store for the youngest generation. Their job prospects will be affected, and their marital life will be shattered if they are addicted to drugs. Don’t let them ruin their health by becoming addicted to drugs. Generally speaking, both youngsters and adults should avoid becoming addicted to drugs. It is important to foster a drug-free culture.
You might also like Women’s Health-Need of the Family